Saturday, May 11, 2013

Northwest Plaza

This is my first post in quite a while to this page.  I'm coming out of mall-blogging retirement not to comment on the beauty of an aging but lively mall, as I've done in the past, but to show some pictures of an officially deceased mall, Northwest Plaza in St Ann, near Lambert Airport and Interstate 70.  

I usually leave these types of blog posts to people like Deadmalls.com, but this one is local, and I was interested at getting a closer look at the ruins of yet another dead mall, soon to be resurrected (if you can call it that) into another form, probably a lot less like a mall and a lot more like an open air lifestyle center.  

So, without excessive commentary, here are my pictures.  It should be noted that, despite this mall being closed and that no work was going on today, both the St Ann PD and the property owners' security were out in force, and circled me several times to make sure I didn't try to get into any restricted areas.  Thus, any sneaky (and thus much more cool) pictures I might have obtained were denied me. 

There's a big difference between "We're looking out for you" and "We're watching you, buddy."




4 comments:

  1. SO glad you got pics cuz security followed us too. My story goes back to the 60's when my mom was a model for Famous Barr, then she worked in advertising for them. We shopped NWP and saw the transformation. I used to hide under racks when I was little..esp at FB. Years later in the 90's I worked at Famous for 10 yrs. Miss the mall....I loved NWP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, OLIVIAUSSIE, thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: The destruction is now complete. NW Plaza is officially a pile of rubble waiting for removal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your contents are too straightforward to browse and easy to understand. hero towers

    ReplyDelete